Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Vamping It Up

So we have some things in the works here. Some fun, nutty, totally outrageous things. Some things you can participate in, if you are willing.

In celebration that Phase II: Reconstruction (now called Re/DeConstruction), we will be enjoying the gap between Phase II and Phase III: Chemo with a little art project.

We are going to button bomb this town (and any town that wants some) with humor, with sassiness, with naughtiness. In lieu of asking you all to shave your heads with me (because what girl that spends as much money as I have on hair and loves her hairdresser as much as I do would ask for something like that?), I am asking you to think of a creative button to make. It has to be something cool or funny or naughty. The point being that these are buttons that we will pass around to folks in the community in "baldidarity" with others who have gone through chemo. They don't have to say anything directly about cancer or chemo, but they can. I don't even care if people know what they are for...actually, that would be even cooler. I would love people to think "wow, what a cool button" and just wear it and then others that are in the know will see it and smile. Something that someone will find funny or cute or silly. Something joyful and that brings a smile.

It can be words or designs, but nothing about me. This is a project about taking the piss out of cancer, laughing about stuff that can be brutal, freeing ourselves to find the humor and fun in things that are a little dark. Some examples that have been floating around here? My favorite: "I have killer boobs". Another...simply a tassel, yes, that kind of tassel. Another that I like is "foobs" or, a true favorite "fipples". Another favorite: "I'm with Baldy". Feel free to make renditions of these too. :) Any play on chemo, cancer, boobs, no boobs, you name it.

If you have a creative idea, but can't execute it, send it to me and I will see if I can get one of my friends with mad design skillz to make it up. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. This is for fun.  We will cut and press these and send them out and pass them out all over. I hope to get pictures of random people wearing them. I hope that when someone says "awesome button" to a friend they will pass it on because that's the point.

So, I have uploaded the template for the button to a google doc that you should be able to access. Click here to see the template. Send me the completed template at fran.loosen (at) gmail.com (replace the (at) with a @) and we will get it rolling on this end.

Again, if you don't feel like you can do the graphic design work, please send your ideas on to us and we will make it happen on this end. If we get responses, we'll post pics of all of the buttons on flickr so you all will see them.

I'm hoping that we can get these rolling and going soon. I start chemo in 3 weeks and would like to start passing them out by then (June 17th). Let me know if you have any questions! Love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. this is a great idea...i'll see if we can get your seattle tribe on it.

    XOXO
    b

    ReplyDelete